Talking Tech for November 17 2015
Updates From Me:
Talking About the Apple tv on the Tech Doctor with Dr Robert Carter and David Woodbridge
Completed my 21 podcast series on the Apple tv 4th generation using VoiceOver
Great time last week Talking To ATUg
Next meeting of ATUG in February 2016.
Android Ware: Audio Feedback
Audio feedback for Android ware .
Need to have someone with sight turn it on, very primitive, and will only work with the LG Urbane 2nd addition.
Can turn on Power button to hang up a call, but need sighted assistance to turn it on.
Can make/receive calls, send sms messages, use cards, but no information on accessing apps.
Google support page:
Vision Australia Webinar: Holiday Summer Reading
Register now for Vision Australia’s Summer Holiday Reading webinar
2 December 2015
Webinar, Online, National
1300 84 74 66
Don’t sweat, we’ve got your books covered this summer! Following the success of our recent Dreaming of Streaming webinar, we are hosting another webinar for our community. This time, we are focusing on top summer holiday reading tips and tricks for people who are blind or have low vision.
More information on the webinar, including panellists, to come soon!
Save the date: Wednesday 2nd December at 7.30pm AEDT.
How to join: the webinar will be held online and it’s free to register. Your own internet usage charges will apply.
Registrations are now open: get in quick as limited places are available.
To register for the Vision Australia webinar, enter your details in the online form here. Any questions? Email us at email@example.com.
A New daisy Player available from Talking Mp3 Players web site:
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/Talking-Daisy-Book-Media-Player_p_75.html Podcast on the daisy player:
A Tip on Using the Va Connect App
If you 1 finger double tap and hold on a book title, you can download the book rather than streaming it and also have the option to return the book.
This info doesn’t appear to be in the help info within the app itself.a
Apple updates the software on the Apple tv 4th Generation
Some other Apple tv bits and pieces
1. You can use the 3rd gen remote on the new Apple tv,
2. If you Apple tv is on, you’ll get a 20 percent low battery warning and a remote charing when plugging back in the Siri remote,
3. Need to ask Netflix to turn on Audio Description at their end to use it on the new Apple tv, and
4. iBlink radio from Serotek is also available on the Apple tv.
ACB radio MainMenu for November 6: all about android
KNFB Reader compared on both iPhone and Android on Cool Blind Tech
iPad pro now available
Talking Tech for November 10 2015
JAWS 17 Released
What Is New In JAWS 17 - What IS New Page
New App For ACB (American Council for the Blind) Radio
New Game From Kid Friendly Software: Blindfold Breakout
Official Australian Cricket app: broken/fixed for accessibility
Apple tv 4 Generation some points
What is the Apple tv? Streaming box.
New box overall new features:
Siri touch remote,
ability run apps.
32gb and 64gb models.
Apple TV 4th Generation notes
1. VoiceOver doesn’t come up automatically when first setting up: need to press menu button 3 times (triple click).
2. No Bluetooth keyboard support at all.
3. Odd keyboard layout: continuous row of letters.
4. iOS Remote app including Apple watch Remote app not compatible.
5. No default podcasts or radio app.
6. Netflix audio description doesn’t appear to work.
7. VoiceOver breaking up when reading out help text for Siri.
8. Siri currently can’t search in music or apps: only movies, TV shows, and Netflix in australia.
1. Siri doesn’t talk back to you like on iPhone unless your using VoiceOver,
2. To see a list of things Siri can do press the Siri button,
Search movies or tv shows:
Search for actors or directors you like,
Control playback: play from beginning, pause this, go back 10 minutes, what did they say?
Ask about weather, sports, and stocks,
3. Hold down Siri button, speak command and then release.